MCA to field candidates if Penang polls called
- NELSON BENJAMIN
- Jul 25, 2016
- 2 min read

JOHOR BARU: MCA is ready to field its candidates if the Penang state assembly is dissolved paving the way for a snap state election.
MCA deputy president Datuk Seri Dr Wee Ka Siong (pic) said that the party was ready but added that this snap election was a “tactical move” by Chief Minister Lim Guan Eng.
“He is trying to stir the emotions of the people following his corruption case,” Dr Wee said after chairing the Johor MCA liaison committee meeting here.
Asked about the seats, the list of candidates or whether there would be any seat swaps with other Barisan Nasional parties, he said that it was still too early and depended if the state assembly was being dissolved soon.
On Johor MCA’s candidates list for GE14, Dr Wee added that the names of possible candidates had been more or less shortlisted.
“But anything can change from now until the next GE,” he said, adding that the state MCA had also decided to prepare at least 30 to 50 public speakers to help in the next GE in Johor.
Dr Wee said that these public speakers would be given training for at least three months and would speak at events to convince the people.
“If there is a need, they can also rebut the allegations made by the Opposition,” he said.
He added that he did not discount the possibility that some of these speakers would be candidates for GE14.
Dr Wee also added that all the 26 divisions in Johor had been directed to hold their annual general meetings and listen to the grouses from the grassroots.
“We want people to voice their opinions on any issues, including education, economy and even opportunities with regards to the high speed rail,” he said, adding that the state MCA leadership also hoped to pay a courtesy call on the Johor Mentri Besar annually to discuss issues.
Dr Wee added that the issues included those that had to do with religion, Chinese education, non-governmental organisations and schools.
In Kepala Batas, PAS central election director Datuk Mustafa Ali said the possibility of a snap election in Penang was questionable as there was no consensus within DAP and Pakatan Harapan.
“Although the proposed state election has been widely publicised, we doubt it will happen.
“Nevertheless, PAS is ready to face the polls if it is held but for now, we will have to wait and see,” he told a press conference at the state PAS Hari Raya open house in Pongsu Seribu yesterday.
Sources: The Star